One question I frequently get asked is: what are the most important foods to buy organic? Let’s face it –buying all organic and local foods can be not only pricy but inconvenient. Going to many different stores and farmer’s markets can take a huge chunk out of your week.
What are the most important things to buy organic if you are on a budget and/or short on time?
1. Dairy – cows are fed hormones to produce higher quantities of milk and so best to purchase organic milk, cheese and yogurt.
2. Meat – when you consume meat fed hormones, it is possible to increase the level of inflammation in the body. In addition, if you are a meat eater and can afford it grass-fed meat (versus corn/grain fed) has higher levels of omega 3 fats which anti-inflammatory versus pro-inflammatory in the body.
3. Fruits – the most important fruits to buy organic are:
1. Apples and Pears
2. Stone fruits such as peaches and nectarines
3. Strawberries and cherries
4. Vegetables – the most important vegetables to buy organic are:
1. Carrots and Celery
2. Sweet Bell Peppers
Feed your family the organic and/or local produce and foods you can afford within reason. Visit the farmer’s markets on the weekends. You might be surprised how fresh and clean the air feels around the fragrant produce and how delicious healthy food feels on your body!